Wednesday 4 March 2009

Fly fishing on the River Test

Fly fishing is one of those mystical sports where to the unguided eye, seems bizarre and is astonishing that such a technique actually works. What is with the throwing of a lasso like line continuously at a river with what seems to be just a ball of fluff at the end of line? How can it possibly work?

I gained an insight on fly fishing by watching a documentary series, A River Somewhere, where two Australian comedians travel around the world fly fishing. It was more of a travel show with just a little bit of fishing in between, but has opened up a whole new aspect of fishing for me.

Having moved to London and not having done much serious fishing for a few years now, I thought I might have fly fishing a go. After all, England is the birth place of fly fishing, and where else to give it a go than on the River Test, a world renown chalkstream in Hampshire.


Grayling - Thymallus thymallus
Grayling - Thymallus thymallus #55 - My first ever fish on the fly and first Grayling


Grayling - Thymallus thymallus
Grayling - Thymallus thymallus


Grayling - Thymallus thymallus
Grayling - Thymallus thymallus being released

I had arranged with the guide to pick me up at Andover station and we would drive to the River Test at Wherwell. I spent the first hour or so learning to cast. I learn the basic techniques, forward casts, false casting, roll casting, mending etc. There was quite a lot of flow in the river so we decided to fish from the bank instead of wading. I was fishing a klinkhammer on the top as an indicator and a hare’s ear nymph on the bottom. It took me a while to get the hang of it. The indicator dipped quite a few times but I kept on missing the strikes. On one magical occasion, I hooked into the a small fish so it was quite easy to play it back into the net. It was a nice little Grayling [#55].


Brown Trout - Salmo trutta
Brown Trout - Salmo trutta #56


Brown Trout - Salmo trutta
Brown Trout - Salmo trutta

So fly fishing does work, and soon enough, I had a nice little Brown Trout [#56] in the net. It was about 1.5lb, was looked well worn, being out of condition and out of season, it had probably just spawned. You can see signs of tail damage probably due to building of a redd.


Grayling - Thymallus thymallus
Grayling - Thymallus thymallus


Grayling - Thymallus thymallus
Grayling - Thymallus thymallus

I spent the rest of the day catching a few more grayling. As it got warmer, they started taking the Klinkhammer as well, but I wasn’t fast enough to hook into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment