Tuesday 14 September 2010

Brighton Marina

Been planning a fishing trip to brighton for a while looking for some new species. Likely targets were Gurnards, Weaver, Red or Grey Mullet and Gar, but none of these appeared on this trip.

It took me almost 5 hours to get to the Marina from my front door, tube closures, no First Captial Connect from London Bridge and trains to Brighton diverting to Hove first. When I finally arrived at half two, I found the marina completely packed with every bay full. I had to fish between anglers which had already settled into their own bays. It was high tide and I think it was a 7m spring tide.

Black Sea-Bream - Spondyliosoma cantharus
Black Sea-Bream - Spondyliosoma cantharus

Tompot Blenny - Parablennius gattorugine
Tompot Blenny - Parablennius gattorugine

Shanny - Lipophrys pholis
Shanny - Lipophrys pholis

Atlantic Mackerel - Scomber scombrus
Atlantic Mackerel - Scomber scombrus

Fished black lug to start off and had a nice bream on after a little while, my first for the year. It was really quiet though, I was told there was a lot of mackerel caught early on but didn't get anything on feathers. Later in the afternoon, I did get a single smallish mackerel on tiny hokkai feathers. There was nothing much except for usual shannies and tompots close in until about 7ish and when I started to get a few Pouting. Then a Sand Smelt on baited hokkais with the glowing bits charged with my head lamp. This was species number 101. A few more Pouting and then a good take, it was a Scad on the baited hokkais again, species number 102. I've only every caught Yellow-tail Scad back in Australia which looks pretty much the same, but this was a nice suprise. I left at about 8:30pm after about and hour of catching dozens of tiny Pout.


Pouting - Trisopterus luscus
Pouting - Trisopterus luscus

Sand Smelt - Atherina presbyter
Sand Smelt - Atherina presbyter #101


Atlantic Horse Mackerel - Trachurus trachurus
Atlantic Horse Mackerel - Trachurus trachurus #102

Life - 102
2010 - 41
English - 34

No comments:

Post a Comment