Saturday 11 June 2011

Brighton Marina

This was the first trip to the Brighton Marina of the year. I hadn’t fished here since October last year when I caught mainly whiting. Now, about 8 months on, I’d be expecting to catch the summer species of Mackerel and Bream.



European Pilchard - Sardina pilchardus
European Pilchard - Sardina pilchardus #128

As with most occasions, I started fished around peg 40 on the Eastern Arm of the Marina. The seas where pretty rough and there was quite a lot of weed about, but I decided to fish two rods on the bottom with rag. Nothing much was happening, so I decided to fish down the side and got my self a few little shannies.



Shanny - Lipophrys pholis
Shanny - Lipophrys pholis



Looking around, a few of the nearby anglers started getting some mackerel on feathers, so I feathered up some of my rods and started some fluff chucking. On the first cast, I got myself a nice mackerel and got a few of them during the day. On one cast, I looked up right up near the surface, but it wasn’t kicking as much as a mackerel would and as I got it in, I had a little silver fish hanging off one of my feathers. I knew it was something in the herring family, i.e., a herring, sprat or pilchard but didn’t know couldn’t tell which. I was only able to identify it when I got home though examination of the photographs, and it was a Pilchard [#128]. You quite easily identify a pilchard because it is the only species in Britain that has radiating grooves on its gill plate. It is smooth in the sprat and herring.


Atlantic Mackerel - Scomber scombrus
Atlantic Mackerel - Scomber scombrus


European Pilchard - Sardina pilchardus
European Pilchard - Sardina pilchardus

It got a little rough later one, so I fished in the one of first few pegs. I always seem to loses quite a bit of tackle here as there is a mussel bed about 20 metres out. This is actually a good spot for ballan wrasse and I managed to get a few of them out of the water. I also got a bullhead has well.





Ballan Wrasse - Labrus bergylta
Ballan Wrasse - Labrus bergylta



Ballan Wrasse - Labrus bergylta
Ballan Wrasse - Labrus bergylta


Ballan Wrasse - Labrus bergylta
Ballan Wrasse - Labrus bergylta


Longspined Bullhead - Taurulus bubalis
Longspined Bullhead - Taurulus bubalis


Longspined Bullhead - Taurulus bubalis
Longspined Bullhead - Taurulus bubalis

No comments:

Post a Comment